Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Chocolate, Cinnamon and Chilli Cake




I made this cake for when my lovely sister got back from her trip to Rarotonga. Great holiday, bummer of a 40th birthday....which was the reason to go and get away from all reminders of turning 40! I totally get it as I went into my 40's kicking and screaming and even now I find it hard to believe I am officially middle aged! I mean where did the years go?????!!!! It goes without saying to make the most of life. Anyway, this cake was easy to make and tasted fabulous. I has a very slight kick to it although I think I would have liked just a little bit more. It comes from my most favourite magazine Dish and was part of their Mexican spread. I served it with thickened cream but as these photos were taken on our return home (I asked her if I could bring a piece home so I could photograph it for my blog), it doesn't look anyway near as glamorous as it did when we ate it.

Chocolate, Cinnamon and Chilli Cake

200 g butter, chopped
200 g dark chocolate, chopped
1 c caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 170 C and grease and line a 20 cm cake tin.

Melt the butter and chocolate in a pot over a lowish heat. Stir in the sugar and vanilla and leave to cool about 10 mins.

Gradually stir in the eggs and then fold in the flour, salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Pour into the tin and smooth and top. Bake about 20-25 mins until set but not too firm.

Leave to cool completely in the tin and on a rack.

Dust the top with 1 Tbsp icing sugar, 1/2 tsp each cocoa and cinnamon and serve with cream whipped with vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment