Monday, August 20, 2012

Sticky Lemon Shortbread



Everyone knows that I have a 'thing' for lemon. Anything lemon is a go as far as I'm concerned and I'm always on the lookout for a new lemon thing to bake. This recipe comes from the latest Dish magazine. Dish would have to be my most favourite cooking magazine. The recipes are innovative and pretty much always work and the ingredients available here in NZ. Therefore as soon as I saw this I decided to give it a go. I already have my most favourite lemon recipe which you can find here. It's hard to go past this recipe but in the interests of lemon research I felt obliged to give it a go. This recipe was delicious. The lemon flavour was very pronounced and very creamy. However I still prefer my favourite recipe. For those with a lemon addiction, however, you will not be disappointed with this recipe.

Sticky Lemon Shortbread (Dish Issue 43)

Shortbread
120 g softened butter
1/4 c icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
3/4 c flour
1/4 c ground almonds
pinch salt

Lemon Topping
4 eggs
2 c caster sugar
1/4 c flour
finely grated zest of 3 lemons
2/3 c lemon juice

Grease and line a 24 cm x 24 cm tin.

Preheat the oven to 170 C.
Beat the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and zest together. Add the flour and ground almonds and salt and mix until just combined.
Press into the tin and bake 15 mins until golden and firm.

For the topping whisk together the eggs, sugar and flour until smooth then whisk in the zest and lemon juice until well combined.
Pour over the shortbread and bake a further 25-30 mins until the filling is set and golden.

Cut into bars and dust with icing sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment