Friday, May 11, 2012

Gooey Caramel Anzac Slice




Just a quick post as I seem to have a real backlog of things to post about...and my friend Adele from work will hassle me until I catch up (so this is for you Adele ;-)). All I'm going to say about this recipe is to make it. It's delicious, rich and has that Anzac vibe about it. I actually made it for the family picnic we had on Anzac day so that was a while ago but it went down very well. 


Gooey Caramel Anzac Slice (Foodtown magazine)


Base
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c brown sugar
140g butter, melted


Caramel
1x can of condensed milk
2 Tbsp golden syrup
50g butter


Topping
1/2 c each: thread coconut (I used desiccated), rolled oats, brown sugar
30g butter


Preheat the oven to 175C and line the base of a 19cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper.


Make the base by combining the flour, baking powder and brown sugar together then adding the melted butter and stirring well until it's combined. Press evenly into the tin and bake 10-12 mins until pale golden and just set.


Make the caramel by melting over a medium heat and stirring until the mixture thickens and is golden. Cool about 5 mins while you make the topping.


Make the topping by combining everything and mixing well.


Pour the caramel over the par baked base and carefully sprinkle over the topping pressing it into the caramel lightly. Bake 10-15 min until golden and bubbling. Cool before cutting.







































3 comments:

  1. Hello there! I was looking for a solid Caramel Oat slice recipe and came across your blog :) I noticed that you have two versions of this slice, this one, and the Jo Seagar version. Which do you think is the better recipe? Both of your versions look absolutely delicious!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI there. From memory I think I preferred this one although the other was also really good too. Jo Seagers recipes are usually pretty foolproof and I do remember it made quite a lot. I know what you mean about the solid oat base as I love that too....much nicer than the traditional base, caramel and chocolate on top. Another surprisingly good recipe is the Caramel Weetbix Slice. For some reason it all works and tates way better than you think it should...just increase the caramel part. Let me know how you go. Megan

      Delete
    2. Hi Megan,

      Just wanted to follow up my previous message - I made this slice last night and it is absolutely to.die.for!!! It's beautifully chewy and has a PERFECT base-to-caramel ratio for the caramel lovers among us... It's a recipe I will be making again, for sure! I can't emphasize how much I like this! Thank you so much!

      Delete