Monday, April 16, 2012

Chocolate Souffle Cake



I know I have been a bit slack on the posting but I have finally got around to posting about this delicious cake I made to take to work on Good Friday. Being Easter something chocolate was definitely in order and this cake seemed to epitomise all things chocolate. The recipe came form Julie Le Clerc's new(ish) cookbook called 'Favourite Cakes'. I poured over an easy ganache made from chocolate and a bit of cream and it kept it's lovely glossy appearance. I also popped some of the lovely little chocolate, speckled Easter eggs I had in the cupboard...but I have to say from a decorating standpoint it looks pretty amateurish. This cake was easy to make and tasted delicious. It was rich but the texture light. I know I'll make this again. Mine doesn't look as flat as Julie's one did in the book but as long as it tasted good then that's all that counts...I suppose. 


Chocolate Souffle Cake (Julie Le Clerc 'Favourite Cakes')


200 g butter, cubed
200 g dark chocolate (I used 62% because I find the 72% too bitter), coarsely chopped
5 eggs, separated
3/4 c caster sugar
1/2 c plain flour
1 Tbsp cocoa


Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and lightly flour a 22cm tin (mine was 23cm).


Melt the butter and chocolate together (I did this in the microwave), stir until smooth and set aside to cool a little.


In a clean bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until thick, pale and fluffy. Gently stir in the melted butter/chocolate to combine. Fold in the sifted flour and cocoa powder.


In another clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks hold their shape. Fold about 1/4 into the chocolate mix to loosen in then more gently fold in the rest of the egg white. Pour into the tin and bake 50-60mins until a skewer comes out moist but clean. Cool in the tin for 30 mins then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Top with ganache when it's cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment