Friday, April 6, 2012

Baking for Nightshift- Anzac Biscuits




I know it isn't quite ANZAC day yet but when I was reading a review about the Little and Friday book in the latest Dish magazine, they had published this recipe. The Little and Friday cookbook is one that I have been waiting for what feels like ages, to come out. I have yet to go to the actual Little and Friday cafe but I know it sounds like my kind of place to visit and the doughnuts sound legendary...in fact some days they sell over 400 of them! Anyway I thought I would whip these up for night shift last weekend and make them a little more decadent (as suggested in the recipe), to give them a bit more oomph! This was an easy recipe to make and tasted lovely with a nice chewy biscuit. However I thought as I was making them that the mixture felt a little too 'wet' and I think that is why they spread more than I wanted them too. It hasn't put me off getting the book though!


Anzac Biscuits (from Little and Friday)


1 c flour
1 c coconut thread
2/3 tightly packed brown sugar
1 c jumbo oats
125g butter
2 Tbsp golden syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp boiling water
Dark melted chocolate (if you want)


Preheat the oven to 160C. Line 2 trays with baking paper.


Put the flour, coconut, oats and sugar into a bowl and combine.


Melt the butter and golden syrup in a pot over a medium heat. While this is melting, put the soda into a bowl, add the boiling water and stir. Then stir into the butter mixture.


Quickly pour into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.


Roll spoonfuls of mixture into balls and place onto the tray about 3cm apart and flatten them slightly. Bake about 15-20 mins or until golden. Cool on a wire rack and when they are cool, dip into chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment