Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Banana Bread



The other day I looked at the pile of too-ripe bananas sitting on my bench and wondered what to do with them. I am well sick of Banana Cake and as it isn't my favourite cake anyway, quickly put that out of mind as an option. However I remembered this recipe found in a NZWW by Annabelle White (my least favourite cooking personality). It seemed simple to make and a good way to use up those bananas. As an aside isn't it annoying how fast they go off in this heat? I can't bear bananas that are too yellow so as soon as they go on the 'turn' they are off my list of fruit to eat and quickly assigned to the freezer...which is why I have so many of the things sitting in there. 


Anyway this recipe is fantastic. The 'bread' is lovely with a smear (or maybe a bit more) of butter and would also be nice with maybe some mascarpone and fruit. I would think it could be lightly toasted too. To be honest it is a bit like a banana cake but I think the texture is a bit different AND the best thing is that it is really quite low in fat with only 75g butter in it. Great for when I restart good old WW!


Banana Bread


4 very ripe bananas so you get about 1 1/4 c bananas (I only used 3)
1/3c melted butter (that's about 75g)
1 c sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 1/2 c flour


Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease and line a loaf tin (about 25x15x8cm).


In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork then add in the melted butter.


Mix in the sugar, egg and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda over the mix then sift over the flour.


Bake about 50mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment