Friday, February 10, 2012

Baking for Nightshift- Chocolate Buttermilk Cake


So tonight I start back on my night shift properly. I have been on annual leave for a couple of weeks for the last bits of the, (very long and wet), school holidays as well as getting the boys settled back into school. It's always a shock getting back to the work routine so I'm hoping a little bit of baking might make it that much more bearable....hmmm maybe not since it IS work! I saw this recipe in a NZ Women's Weekly magazine and thought it looked like it could make a pretty nice cake. The food editor is Annabelle White who I have to admit isn't one of my most favourite cooks. I find her totally irritating...a bit like an over exuberant cocker spaniel puppy. She talks to fast, is far too excitable and uses far too much creme fraiche in her cooking. And as for her little nickname of the 'Cuddly Cook'....well don't get me started on that! However, I will admit that some of her recipes are pretty good and in my stockpile of cookbooks there are a couple of hers in there (from her earlier days). 


Anyway this recipe, with a couple of little adjustments, is very nice. The buttermilk makes it tender and would make it a good keeper. I wasn't so keen on the icing which is butter and dark chocolate melted together. I only ever use salted butter so this could be why. But the recipe didn't state which one to use. Next time I would stick to the usual cream/chocolate ganache. I would make this cake recipe again though.


Chocolate Buttermilk Cake


115g butter
125g dark chocolate
1 c sugar

1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 c buttermilk
3 eggs
1 3/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp cocoa (not in the recipe but I added this to give it more flavour and colour)


Icing
100g butter
100g dark chocolate (I added an extra 50g)


Heat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 23cm tin (she states a 22cm but I only have 20 or 23cm).


Heat the butter and chocolate carefully in a pot stirring on a medium temperature. Do not overheat. Take off the heat and add the sugar and vanilla while the mix is hot.


Whisk in the buttermilk and eggs. Add the dry ingredients (I whisked them together beforehand) and whisk until just smooth.


Bake about 40-45mins until a skewer comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack to cool (I waited until it had cooled in the tin for about 20 mins.


To make the icing, heat the butter and chocolate together gently in the microwave. Ice once it sets a bit so you can spread it.


Add caption

1 comment:

  1. Hi Megan
    What a great blog. My nana use to make custard kisses all the time mmm melt in the mouth, I think the recipe was on the Edmonds custard powder box. She knew the recipe off by heart and didn't write it in her recipe book. Would you have a copy, I would be so grateful!
    From Noel(ine)

    ReplyDelete