Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Italian Mama Moment with Homemade Mozzarella







A while ago I was reading one of the many blogs I follow by Mrs Cake when she posted about making mozzarella. She used a Mad Millie kit (the Italian one) to do it and posted great step by step photos. I went out after reading that post and bought my own kit. It cost around $40 for the kit but that makes about 15 batches of cheese so cost-wise it should be pretty reasonable. The funny thing is, is that I don't eat cheese! As a child I used to make myself eat a slice of good old Chesdale cheese as I was determined to like it. Now I can eat cheese but only if it's 'cooked' and not too 'cheesy'. Any sign of 'raw' cheese sends me running so all that hard work making myself eat the stuff (and gagging all the while), as a child never paid off. I guess I should be happy about that as I know that if I did like cheese it would be game and kilos on! 


However despite not liking cheese I love the idea of making my own. I figured mozzarella is perfect for pizza which I can eat, and I know I will make mascarpone as even though I'm not keen on the flavour on it's own, what is a Tiramisu without it? While I haven't done the step by step photos (check out Mrs Cake's site) I have posted photos of the final product. I think it was pretty cost effective and the process was really easy. The only thing I will do differently is to stretch the cheese a bit more. The milk cost about $11 and the yield was around 600gm of fresh mozzarella. Dons immediately made a mozzarella, tomato and basil salad and she said the cheese was delicious...very creamy and moist with the perfect flavour. 


Although it played havoc on my sore joints (which I have had since I got a virus 2 months ago), it was well worth the effort and subsequent joint pain. We had it on homemade pizza where I made my own base and tomato sauce and I have to say it was really good. Give the kit a go...you will feel like a true Domestic Goddess and Holly-homemaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment