Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Custard Cake




So the reason I have made a few posts in a row is that my blogger account has been playing up terrible and I have been unable to post any photos. After what seems like hours of sorting out and trying to figure out what the problem is, I am still no clser to finding an answer or reason for it. In fact I even got so far as to open a blogging account with wordpress with the aim to swap over to them. However I thought I would give it one last go on my pc instead of the laptop I have been using and it's working so I thought I should make the most of it and get posting while I can.

Anyway most Kiwi's know and love good old Edmonds custard. I grew up with it and while I love proper homemade custard, I don't think there is much that comes close to Edmonds...A heathen I know but sometimes those childhood taste memories rule supreme and in this case Edmonds is the ruling party. My boys also love Edmonds custard even though we don't have it all that much (I really must whip it up more often). 

The other day (or was it the other week?) I found a recipe for a custard cake and stored it away to use. However when I pulled it out and read the ingredient list, it just didn't sound right and I wondered if a mistake had been made with the measurements especially when I did an internet search for similar recipes and saw that it was way out. After some searching I found this following recipe BUT I altered it a bit based on the comments people had made underneath it about it not being sweet enough. So here is my altered recipe. Make this if you, too, love Edmonds custard. I can tell you it is delicious and very, very moreish. I have had to exercise huge restaint from eating it all myself.

Custard Cake

For the Custard

3 Tbsp custard powder
300ml milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
2-3 Tbsp sugar

Make the custard frst by mixing the custard powder to a paste with some of the milk. Then stir it over a low-medium heat until it thickens and boils. Set aside to cool a bit (I put mine in the fridge covered over with clingfilm pressed to the surface)

For the Cake

190g butter softened
1/2 c caster sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c self raising flour
1/2 c custard powder
1 c milk

Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Sift the flour and custard powder together and add in 3 lots alternating with the milk. Don't overbeat.

Preheat the oven to 180C. Line and grease a 23cm tin. Put in half the cake mixture, followed by the custard, then dollop and cover the custard layer as best you can with the rest of the cake mixture.

Bake 40 mins, leave to cool in the tin then remove and indulge.

I also drizzled mine with a glaze made from icing sugar, vanilla and hot water. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment