Friday, July 1, 2011

Pikelets


One of the boys most favourite of all things to have for breakfast or as an afternoon treat are pikelets. In fact some weekends I make them on both mornings. These are also known as drop scones but here in NZ they are just known as pikelets. In New Zealand's past women were judged by the quality of their pikelets as they were a favourite and almost essential morning or afternoon treat along with other goodies like Cream Horns, Sponge cake, Lamingtons, Scones and of course a good cup of tea always made with tea leaves in a teapot (no teabags in a mug in sight!). Pikelets were almost always served with homemade jam and whipped cream but as you can see by my photos, I thought it would be good to photograph them unadulterated and plain...actually they disappear so fast here I really didn't have a chance to dress them up if truth be known! Harry likes his with just butter served hot from the pan, Reubs likes his with chocolate sauce or jam and whipped cream, and I like mine with yoghurt and maple syrup. However let's face it NOTHING beats a yummy fluffy pikelet with homemade jam and softly whipped cream on top for a delicious afternoon treat. 


This recipe is the one I use all the time. Finding the perfect Pikelet recipe is hard...in fact I have tried so many of them looking for that perfect fluffy, tasty pikelet and here it is! I can't remember where I got this recipe but I have a vague memory of it being an old man's recipe which attracted me to it in the first place as it was sure to be tried and true. As well as being very easy to make, these deliver on taste and texture, so my research for the best recipe saves you all that time and effort as well as trying recipes that don't work. So here it is....


Pikelets


1 egg
2 Tbsp sugar


Whisk until well mixed and pale.


Add 1 c milk and whisk to mix.


Sieve into the bowl then mix-
1 1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar


Mix in 
1 Tbsp melted butter
1 Tbsp hot water


Drop spoonfuls onto an greased hot pan (maybe medium heat) and turn when you see bubbles appearing.


Try not to hoover them too fast...

No comments:

Post a Comment