Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chocolate, Cointreau and Orange Cupcakes....Michele's Hen's Night







Last night was my lovely friend of 30 years (makes me feels old!) Michele's Hen's night. We had a private room at a bar called Bario on Ponsonby Road and a theme of feathers, sequins, glamour. Michele and her sister Vanessa are real dress-up queens. Any excuse to dress up for something and they will be the best turned out with the best outfit for sure. Last night was no excuse. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the night as I forgot my camera but all the girls who were there looked fantastic- especially the girls who Michele works with (which is no surprise as they are all from the art department at a good school so have a natural eye for fabulosity). Anyone who knows me will know that I don't do dress up...and I don't do sequins or anything too sparkly. However I did borrow a little dress from Michele with sequins on it so I, at least, looked a little like the part. Luckily there wasn't a male stripper, silly hen's night games or penis cake in sight. Instead Michele did her Burlesque Lollipop dance and her sister Vanessa and Francesca did a fantastic dance to Abba's Waterloo for the entertainment (Michele and Vanessa also love any chance to perform...). After that it was dancing, dancing and dancing...true to Michele's idea of a good night out. 


For the night I made these cupcakes. I used one of my favourite recipes from The Crabapple Bakery Cupcake Cookbook called Dinosaur Rock Cupcakes which make a delicious light but rich cupcake. I cut out the middle of them (using an apple corer which made it easy and symmetrical), and filled that with a chocolate Cointreau ganache, Then I topped them with an orange and Cointreau buttercream which I decorated with these little fondant flowers and edible glitter (very easy to make for maximum impact. They tasted lovely and looked part of the theme too.


I hope Michele had a fantastic night out. This friend of mine deserves nothing but the best for now and the future and I know she has picked her life partner well as he is a lovely person and perfect for her. Have a wonderful wedding in Thailand gorgeous and amazing Michele, Mike and Jake and Hollie. Love you lots xxx


Michele's Chocolate, Cointreau and Orange Cupcakes


Cupcakes


You can find the recipe here. 


Ganache


350g dark chocolate, chopped up
150-200ml cream
3 Tbsp Cointreau


Heat the cream until it just comes to the boil and pour over the chopped chocolate. Mix until smooth then leave to set to a piping consistency.


Orange, Cointreau Buttercream


150g butter
about 4-5 c icing sugar
about 3-4 Tbsp Cointreau
Zest of an orange
milk to get the right consistency


Beat the butter until pale and creamy then add the icing sugar, Cointreau and milk to get the right consistency.


Fill the centre of the cooled cupcakes with the ganache. Either cut the centre out with an apple corer or else just cut it out with a knife. Pipe or spoon in the ganache. Top with the orange buttercream and decorate accordingly.


You could omit the Cointreau if you don't want alcohol in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment