Monday, May 9, 2011

Caramel Mud Cupcakes with Rich caramel Frosting for Leon



All ready to go it the container
My long time friend Leon is an amazingly creative person and florist. Not only that but he is also incredibly generous and kind. I first met Leon when I was about 22 years old (that's a long time ago!), when he answered an ad we had put in the paper for a new flatmate. We all liked him straightaway and the next weekend he moved in. Leon and I flatted together on for years...I can't remember how many but I would say at least 12 years (with the last run being about 11 of them), until my partner and I ended up buying a house with only enough bedrooms for us and our 2 boys. It was a sad day when I stopped living with Leon as I felt. 


To this day, even though Leon is very busy with his business and his 2 beautiful boys, I still consider him to be a member of my family. We don't get to see each other very much with his busy life and my busy life. As well as that Leon really likes his own time so when he doesn't have his boys or work he likes to just be on his own to do what he wants. Having lived with him for so long I totally understand this is how he is, but I also know that if I need him he will be there to help where he can...he is just like that...a kind, sweet, lovely, generous, beautiful man!


So to cut to the chase about the cupcakes, this last weekend was Mother's Day. As Leon is a florist, I knew he would be frantically busy working extremely long days, and even pulling an all-nighter to get all the orders out. I also know he has a very sweet tooth therefore I thought I would make him some cupcakes to have with a cuppa in amongst all the madness while he was working. After consulting one of my favourite cupcakes books called 'Divine Cupcakes' by Tamara Jane, I finally decided upon these. They were very easy to make (as most cupcakes are), and tasted pretty good too. Usually when I fill cupcake tins I will fill them 2/3's of the way as they often rise well. This recipe did rise but not all that much...I guess that because it's a mudcake? I halved the recipe and got 16 cupcakes out of it. The icing would have looked better is they had of been at least flush with the cupcake liner I think. I also did the little chocolate decorations to pop on top to make them look a bit more gussied up. Hopefully they helped to get him through the Mother's Day nightmare workload.


Love you Boy!


Caramel Mud Cupcakes with Rich Caramel Frosting


Cupcakes


185g butter
150g white chocolate
220g brown sugar
80ml golden syrup
250ml milk
150g flour
150g self raising flour
2 eggs


Oven to 160 C. Line tins. (this recipe makes about 30 cupcakes)


Combine butter, chocolate, sugar, golden syrup and milk in a pot and stir over a low heat without boiling until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool for about 15 mins.


Whisk in sifted flours, then the eggs one at a time. Don't over-mix once the eggs are in. 


Bake 20-25 mins or until cooked (I usually check with a skewer or else see if the tops spring back when lightly pressed).


Rich Caramel Frosting


100g butter
125g brown sugar
75g golden syrup
125ml cream
1 kg icing sugar


Combine the butter, sugar. golden syrup and cream in a pot over a medium heat. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved. Turn the heat up to high and boil for about 5 mins. Take off the heat and cool to room temperature.


Add half of the icing sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the rest of the icing sugar and beat until it is a spreadable consistency. Add more cream if the mixture is too dry (I needed to)

No comments:

Post a Comment