Sunday, May 1, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Lemon, Lime and Poppyseed Syrup Bundt Cake




The other night at work I saw my friend Sue who is also one of our Charge Nurse's. She told me that while she was passing through Warkworth (about an hour or so out of Auckland), a shop there was having a sale on Nordicware which I'm finding very hard to source here in Auckland. As well as that it is horrendously expensive to buy and even though it's the most fantastic bakeware it can hard to justify spending $80 on one cake tin. So when Sue told me she had bought the beautiful Rose tin for only $35 I was almost crazy with desperation to get a hold on one for myself. As it was Easter weekend I had to, impatiently, wait until the Tuesday for them to open...all the while cursing the small town thinking of staying shut for the whole of the weekend!!! Such is the irrationality of the passionate baker! Anyway I called them first thing on the Tuesday and the next day I was the proud owner of this lovely 10 cup loaf tin as well as the little individual rose tin (they had already sold out of the big ones), and all for $80 including courier. 


In my haste to try out at least one of my new bundt tins I thought I would whip up this cake from 'A Treasury of New Zealand Baking'. The only thing I added was a lemon and lime glaze which I really liked with the cake. It was an easy cake to make and it tasted really good as well with a nice light crumb and lots of citrus flavour. So if you happen to find any Nordicware on sale please let me know and watch me run for it...


Lemon, Lime and Poppyseed Syrup Cake


Cake
125g butter
2 tsp of both finely grated lemon and lime zest
250g caster sugar
3 eggs
200g flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
100ml plain yoghurt or buttermilk


Syrup
3 Tbsp each of lemon and lime juice and caster sugar


Oven to 180 C. Prepare your tin...line the base if it is a normal tin.


Cream the butter with the 2 zests until light and creamy. Slowly add the caster sugar beating well after each addition. Beat in the eggs one at time and mix well after each.


Combine the flour, baking powder and poppy seeds. Fold into the butter mixture alternately with the yoghurt.


Bake about 30-40 mins until cooked. Stand in the tin 5-10 mins then turn out onto a rack. 


Make the syrup by bringing the ingredients to the boil and simmering about 3 mins. Pour the hot syrup over the hot cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment