Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hot Cross Buns- Attempt Number 2





So after the fiasco of my last batch of Hot Cross Buns I was determined to make a batch that I actually liked. Although I'm sure the mistake I made was that I didn't let the dough come to room temperature, I wanted to try a different recipe to see if I could better the buns! I found a recipe on a blog I look at called Sunday Hotpants which looked pretty good. However as I don't like mixed peel or glace peel I did adapt it a bit, along with the spices and method, to get the sort of hot cross bun I like to eat. 


Stupidly I decided to whip the dough up when I got home from work and let it rise while I was sleeping. You will see why I say 'stupidly' shortly. I am one of those terrible day time sleepers so I knew I wouldn't be up late...and true to form I wasn't, so I knew if I put the dough in a cool place it would hold out until I got up. The mix is very easy to make and especially low effort if you are lucky enough to own a Kitchen Aid (hands down my most favourite piece of kitchen equipment that I own), or something like it. I will admit to a couple of mistakes though, and I do put this down to just coming home after a busy night shift at work and therefore being a little vague, I did forget the salt...and the eggs!! Crucial ingredients I know and the lack of salt I could taste straight away, BUT they still have a lovely texture (even without the eggs) and with salted butter....well anything can be made better with butter...except my off-the-diet-waistline! 


Anyway here is the recipe...and whatever you do don't forget the salt and eggs!


Hot Cross Buns


310 ml warmed milk (to blood temperature)
60g caster sugar
4 tsp instant yeast
600g high grade flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves (if you have them)
60g melted butter
1c mixed fruit. I used raisins and currants only
2 eggs


Crosses
1 Tbsp butter melted
3 Tbsp self raising flour
water to make it into a pipeable dough


Glaze
1/4c caster sugar
1/4c water


In a bowl whisk together the sugar, milk and yeast. Set aside for a few minutes (you should leave it for 10 min if you are using those granules but I use the sachets).

Mix the flour, salt and spices in a large bowl and give a whisk to combine.Put it into the yeast mix along with the melted butter, fruit and eggs. Mix until combined then knead in the mixer (or by hand), until the dough is smooth and elastic.


Put into a lightly greased bowl, place the dough in and turn to coat the surface with grease. Cover in clingfilm and leave in a warm, draught-free place for 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size. I put mine in a cool place for about 4-5 hours. 


When the dough is ready give it a quick knead until smooth and divide it into 12 equal pieces. Place the buns into a greased baking tray, cover with clingfilm and leave in warm place to rise for another 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 190 C and bake 10 mins.


In the meantime whisk together the flour, melted butter and water to a smooth piping paste and pipe crosses on top of the buns. Bake a further 15 mins.


When they come out of the oven brush with the sugar syrup glaze (made by bring the sugar and water to the boil) and leave to cool out of the tin and on a wire rack.


MOST IMPORTANTLY....DO NOT ATTEMPT THESE IN A SLEEP DEPRIVED STATE OR YOU MAY, LIKE ME, FORGET TO ADD VARIOUS INGREDIENTS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment