Thursday, March 3, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Coca-Cola Cupcakes with Chocolate-Cola Glaze




As I am gearing up for my big 3-tier wedding cake for next weekend as well as having to make birthday cupcakes for a friends party this weekend, I wanted to be able to whip something up quickly today to take to work tonight. I have often eyed this recipe up in Nigella Lawson's book 'How To Be A Domestic Goddess' but of course had long forgotten about it once all the new baking books and cooking magazines manage to find their way into the house...what can I say except "Hello everyone, my name is Megan and I am a cookbook addict!" 


Anyway I saw these on another blog I follow and was reminded of this recipe. In typical Nigella fashion they are simple with few steps involved in the making of them. I did wonder how the Coke would affect the flavour but I think all it does is make them moist and tender. There is Coke in the glaze as well but again I couldn't really taste it. I got 16 cupcakes out of the mix but I think I could have filled them a little more as some were a bit small. Regardless I think they should fit the bill for the middle of the night tonight.


Coca-Cola Cupcakes with Chocolate-Cola Glaze


200 g plain flour
250 g sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
125 ml buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
125 g unsalted butter
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
175 ml Coca-cola


Preheat the oven to 350F.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat the egg, buttermilk and vanilla in in a measuring jug. In a heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter, cocoa and Coca-cola, heating it gently. Pour into the dry ingredients, stir well with a wooden spoon, and then add the liquid ingredients from the jug, beating until it is well blended.
Pour into a muffin tin that has been lined with papers and bake for 15 minutes until a tester comes out clean.


Glaze
225 g icing sugar
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp Coca-cola
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla


Sieve the icing sugar and set aside. In a heavy-based saucepan, combine the butter, Coca-Cola and cocoa and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla, and spoon in the sieved icing sugar, beating as you do, until you’ve got a good, spreadable, but still runny, icing.
Pour over the cupcakes while they are still warm, and leave to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment