Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Baking for Dayshift- Dulce De Leche Bundt Cake




For my long day shift on Saturday I made this cake which was again from The Food Librarian's blog. It was, I think day 17 of her 30 day challenge which was to make 30 Bundt's in 30 days. I could never do this challenge as aside from not having the time, even I wouldn't have the inclination. BUT I do admire her tenacity and her recipes so I'm very happy that someone did this challenge. 


For the Saturday when I took it to work I dusted it with icing sugar which made it look more pretty as this cake doesn't look like much as it cools on the rack. I love all things caramel and I would put it right up there with my favourite flavours...along with vanilla, chocolate and lemon... actually citrus. The beauty of this recipe, aside from how easy it was to whip up, is that instead of going through the whole palaver of boiling a can of condensed milk for hours hoping all the while that it doesn't explode, is that you can now buy the condensed milk already caramelised. Three quarters of the can is added to the cake mix and the other quarter is put in a tunnel around the cake which means when you cut it you get a bit of just the caramel. Is there anything better than that if you are a caramel lover? 


I really liked the cake and it had a lovely texture which is no doubt due to the buttermilk. I think it would have been even better with a bit more caramel but with some softly whipped cream I think it's pretty dam good. If you want to make it you can find the recipe here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment