Monday, February 21, 2011

Flo's Chocolate Snaps





On Friday as I was, again, looking through my David Lebovitz book 'Ready For Dessert', I came across this recipe. I had planned to make it previously but it had been sidelined quite a bit with all the other recipes I have been trying, and I hadn't yet got around to it. They are described as being easy to make, crispy, and having a deep, dark chocolate flavour. I thought they would be perfect for the boys to take to school and to have with a cup of tea. The recipe makes a lot of cookies and the best thing is that you can freeze the dough in it's rolls and therefore bake up a batch of fresh cookies when and as you need them. The mixture is very simple to whip up. I, however, thought they were a little boring with just the sugar sprinkled on top even though they had a nice rich chocolate taste. They also failed to have that crispiness he talked about in the book so maybe I made them too thick. I felt they needed a bit of 'zhoozhing' up somehow. I took a half recipe of the plain ones into work with me on Friday night along with the decadently rich quadruple chocolate loaf cake (give THAT recipe a go!) but remained underwhelmed by them.


As I was looking at the remaining two rolls of uncooked dough I had in the fridge, I thought I might bake them up, making them a little thinner, and either ice them or else melt some chocolate and sandwich them together. I ended up going with the second option and what a difference it made to the cookies themselves! I just melted some milk chocolate,  sandwiched some together and iced the others with the chocolate. NOW they taste great! I know the boys will like them a whole let better. 


Flo's Chocolate Snaps


3 c flour
3/4 c cocoa
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
225 gm butter
1 1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg at room temperature
1 large egg yolk


Sift flour, cocoa and baking powder together.


Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add vanilla and then the egg and yolk.


Gradually add flour mixture until completely incorporated.


Divide dough into quarters and shape each into a log. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate about an hour.


Line 2 baking trays and bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Once they are out of the oven immediately sprinkle with sugar. Cool on a wire rack.


The dough can be frozen or stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment