Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Robert's Absolute Best Brownies

Add caption
Add caption


This is a baking for...post from the other night so sorry if you are reading this and working tonight because I won't be there and nor will these. The other day my lovely friend/co worker/sister Ning brought me a takeaway package of my favourite Filipino food- Pansit and Chicken Adobo. Ning is an amazing cook and everything she makes tastes wonderful. By all accounts her husband is a great cook too and I have tasted his Tom Yum soup before and OMG it is GOOD! Anyway I knew Ning was working on Sunday night shift, as was I, so I thought I would bake something that I could give her to take home to her family, as well as provide some much needed sugar for the night shift. 


I chose this recipe from, you guessed it, David Lebovitz's book 'Ready for Dessert'. It seemed to be easy, rich and decadent. It only has 1/4 c of flour to hold it all together so that should give you an idea of it's richness. He talks in the bit before the recipe how it is imperative to "stir the batter vigorously" as he was instructed to do by this guy Robert. He said the first time he made them they were very underwhelming and when questioning the recipe was told in no uncertain terms that this part was the key to the success of the recipe. Anyway they are pretty good if you like a squidgey chocolatey brownie. I chose to use almonds and pecan nuts into mine and think that some extra added in chocolate drops would have taken it into the ridiculously sublime category.


Robert's Absolute Best Brownies


85 gm butter
225 gm chocolate (I used a mix of 70% and 50%)
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs at room temperature
1/4 c flour
1 c nuts toasted and coarsely chopped


Oven to 175 C and line a greased 23 cm square tin with foil or baking paper.


In a medium pot melt the butter over a low heat then add the chocolate, stirring until it is melted and smooth. Beat the eggs in one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and sugar until combined. Add the flour and stir energetically for a 1 full minute until the batter becomes smooth, glossy and pulls away from the sides of the pot. Stir in the nuts.


Bake 25-30 mins until the center feels almost set. Don't overbake. Cool in the tin completely.


Try to resist!!!...

No comments:

Post a Comment