Friday, January 7, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Standby Chocolate Brownies

As you can see there are no photos of these brownies which does make my new posts a little dull I think. In fact I was even thinking about flagging the blogging until I get my replacement camera once the insurance company has processed my claim. However it seems a pity to not post about something new I have made so here it goes. We now only have one remaining camera in the house since the burglary which isn't a very good one and now my son (it's his one) has taken it to his dads house so I have no other options to photograph my food/baking.... actually I did try to use my iphone but the photo quality was rubbish.

Anyway I'm in the middle of nightshift yet again and it is pretty much impossible to sleep due to the heat. Even though I have a fan in my room it doesn't stop you from having to breathe in hot recycled air. Therefore not only do I wake up early and unable to go back to sleep, but I wake up feeling dopey and heavy-headed from the stuffy heat. After I got up I thought I might as well whip something up for work tonight. For Xmas I got the new Donna Hay cookbook called 'Fresh, Fast, Simple'. In that is a recipe for Standby Brownies which are made with cocoa. They were very easy to make and taste really good. They lack the real fudginess of a brownie made with real chocolate but are like a dense moist chocolate cake. I did add chocolate drops to the mix as I really like the little hits of chocolate you get when you eat them. Very easy to make and they will be a great standby when I need to whip something up in a hurry. I think the girls will be happy enough with these tonight.

Standby Brownies (Donna Hay)

150 gm butter
3/4 c (75 gm) cocoa
1 1/4 c (275 gm) caster sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c (75 gm) flour

Melt the butter with the cocoa and sugar until butter melted. Put into a bowl and whisk in the vanilla and eggs. Sift over the flour and whisk in.

I stirred in some milk and dark chocolate drops too.

Put into a lined 20 cm square dish and bake at 160 C for about 30 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment