Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Baking for Nightshift- Lemon Yoghurt Cake




Even though I have done nothing but bake for the last few weeks, yesterday while I was in the middle of night shift I really felt as if I was being pulled towards the kitchen. I felt the need for relaxation and as I am an 'active relaxer', baking something for work seemed like the logical option. For Christmas I was lucky enough to get 2 books that had been on my list to get. They were the new Donna Hay book called 'Fast, Fresh, Simple' and the new 'Ripe Recipes' from one of my favourite deli's. My aunt also gave me an Amazon voucher as well which I happily used to buy 4 new cookbooks...but more on those when they arrive! Both of my new books are wonderful and I have spent lots of time perusing them and determined to start cooking from them. Unfortunately I suffer from too-many-cookbooks-and-cooking-magazines-syndrome as I'm sure a lot of you can identify with, and therefore can get a little overwhelmed by the amount of recipes I want to try. This can lead to not making them at all or very few of them! I had spotted this recipe in the Donna Hay book and it seemed like the perfect cake to make in a sleep deprived and dehydration headache state as everything is just put into a book and that that. The cake itself tasted really good. It had a tight crumb and a lovely moist texture. The lemon flavour was there but next time I would put in even more rind as I love lemons. I also made a lemon syrup to pour on top even thought the recipe had a sugar and lemon juice topping. It would be good served with lemon curd and yoghurt but I whipped up some cream and took that along to have with it. It seemed to go down well though and I will be making this again.


Lemon Yoghurt Cake


3/4 c vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 Tbsp (20 ml) lemon rind
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 c thick plain yoghurt
1 3/4 c caster sugar
2 c self raising flour


Oven to 180 C.


Grease a 24 cm fluted tin or else a 23 cm tin (and line if you are using this tin).


Mix the oil, eggs, rind, juice, sugar and yoghurt together and sift over the flour stirring until smooth.


Bake about 40 mins.


Pour over a syrup (made from lemon juice and caster sugar heated until sugar is dissolved) while it is still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment