Saturday, November 27, 2010

Roasted Strawberry and Rhubarb Compote



The other day my favourite magazine 'Dish' arrived in the post. I love this magazine!! When it first started I thought it was pretentious and a bit 'wah wah'...so to speak, as all it seemed to do was to be an advertisement for her cookshop (the name of which alludes me at this early hour of Saturday morning). I guess it was fair enough as it kind of went hand in hand that she would want to promote her business as well. As time has past the cookshop has gone and this is the focus she has (she being Catherine Bell), and very quickly this magazine became my most favourite. I'm one of those people who can't say no to cooking magazines and cookbooks. I subscribe to quite a few and buy the ones I don't get in the post. At this time of year it gets a little overwhelming as I have so many recipes around that I get confused or else want to make everything. As well as that there are the new and old cookbooks and the ones I get out of the library to see if they are worth buying. Needless to say my coffee table is now a sea of books and magazines and my mind is a messed up web of recipes.

I spotted this recipe in the Dish immediately. I love fresh fruit compotes and as we eat a lot of nice yoghurt as well as my homemade granola, and I do make crepes or pikelets when the boys are home on my weekends off, I thought this would go nicely. It's a very easy recipe but I think  I may have overcooked it a bit as it is quite jammy. It does, however, taste amazing. Strawberries are so cheap at the moment and after the immediate rush of eating them as they are because of the novelty of having them at all is so fresh, after awhile yo want to do something different with them. This is so lovely and well worth a go. I think I may even make it for Christmas morning breakfast as it would go well with granola and yoghurt, and would even be nice with the pastries I always buy from Sabato.

Without further ado here is the recipe:

Roasted Strawberry and Rhubarb Compote (from issue 33 of Dish magazine)

500 gm strawberries
350 gm rhubarb
finely grated zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
1/3 c caster sugar
1/3 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Oven to 180 C

Hull the strawberries and cut the big ones in half. Cut rhubarb into 6 cm lengths and combine all ingredients into a baking dish that will hold them snugly (this is important so the syrup doesn't catch.

Roast uncovered for about 40 mins stirring every 10 mins until the liquid is reduced and syrupy. Stir carefully so the fruit doesn't all mush up.

Store in the fridge.

Fruit unadorned and looking beautiful

Ready for the oven

Out of the oven for the last time

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment