Thursday, November 18, 2010

Baking for Nightshift- A 'Bundt' of a Disaster

Tonight is the first of 2 nightshifts for me and as I usually take some baking in, I made some time for baking for work this afternoon. I have been inspired by the The Food Librarian's blog who has admirably just finished baking 30 Bundt's (mostly sweet but some savoury) in 30 days ending on National Bundt Day...I know I never knew such a thing existed! Therefore when I got Jo Seagar's new cookbook the other week, I noted that she had a recipe for a Lemon Syrup Buttermilk Cake and as I have a silicone Bundt tin, I thought I would give it a go. Well what a disaster!! The cake itself is beautiful....lemony, delicate and moist, however the tin is most definitely NOT! I did wonder if it would be difficult to get the cake out even though I had generously sprayed it beforehand and it was. The cake pretty ,much broke in half and it all stuck to the little grooves of the tin.

Tragic isn't it?

Just to emphasise the tragedy...

I had already cleaned most of it by now...it made it's way to my mouth ;-)
As the cake itself tasted really good I decided to try to save it so made a lemon buttercream icing and used some of the leftover syrup to make it instead of adding milk or water. Here it is hopefully salvaged a little. No doubt the girls will still appreciate it even if it does crumble a little. By the way the dregs in the pan were really good with some of the lemon curd I made yesterday. I'll give the recipe as this was a truly lovely cake...next time I'll either get a proper bundt tin or else make it in a normal cake tin and as for the old silicone one...it's now holding pride of place in the bin!


Nothing like a bit of buttercream to hide a multitude of errors


Harry's piece (who ate it all up and loved it)

Lemon Syrup Buttermilk Cake (from Jo Seagar 'It's Easier Than You Think')

200 gm softened butter
1 1/2 c caster sugar
3 eggs
grated rind of 2 lemons
1/4 c lemon juice
3/4 c buttermilk
2 c self raising flour

Oven to 180 C. Grease a tin...good luck if it's a silicone bundt tin!!!

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each.

Add lemon rind, juice, buttermilk and flour and mix together well.

Bake 45-50 mins.

Lemon Syrup

grated rind of 2 lemons
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c water
1/2 c caster sugar

Dissolve sugar over a medium heat with all the other ingredients. Boil 3-4 min and pour over the still warm cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment