Sunday, October 10, 2010

Baking for Nightshift- Everyday Chocolate Brownie




When I woke up after nightshift yesterday I was in no mood or frame of mind to do any baking. I had already baked for nightshift on Friday night but I wanted to take something else in for work last night. Through my foggy and sleep deprived brain (I don't sleep well on nightshift), I remembered this recipe in Nigella's new book 'Kitchen'. It sounded easy and delicious and didn't require too much effort to make. And I was right! It was very easy and only took about 10 minutes to get it into the oven with the most labour intensive job being the chopping of the chocolate. The result was lovely,rich and soft brownie, although in the book Nigella's is nice and squidgy whereas mine was a little overcooked (I think 22 mins would have been perfect but I went out to 25mins). It still tasted really good though and it disappeared pretty quickly at work. I think this will be my 'go-to' recipe from now on as it's easy, doesn't have too much chocolate in it....well it does have some but compared to other brownie recipes it's relatively restrained, and I know my boys would love it.




Everyday Brownie (Nigella Lawson 'Kitchen')

150 gm butter
200 gm light muscovado sugar (I used 200 gm brown sugar and 100 gm caster sugar)
75 gm cocoa powder
150 gm plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
150 gm chopped milk chocolate (I used a mix of dark and milk)
icing sugar to dust

Preheat the oven to 190 C and grease a 25 cm square tin.

Melt the butter in a pot then add the sugar stirring over a low heat with a wooden spoon to help it blend in with the butter.

Sift together the cocoa, flour and soda, then stir this into the butter and sugar mix ad remove from the heat.

In a jug or bowl whisk the eggs and vanilla together then mix with the other ingredients.

Stir in the chopped chocolate, pour into the prepared tin and bake 20-25 mins. It will look set, dry and dark on top but will be wobbly underneath and a cake tester will come out gungy.

Cut into pieces and dust with icing sugar.....DELICIOUS! 

1 comment: