Thursday, October 14, 2010

Baking for Nightshift- Chunky Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters



Although I'm not due to start nightshift until tomorrow I started making these yesterday when I had the frozen egg fiasco. I baked a bit of the mixture then and saved the rest until today to finish off. These will be perfect to take to work tomorrow night for the girls to have with a cup of tea. I don't normally go for recipes which have peanut butter in them, (even though my whole family is mad on peanut butter), but I thought I would give them a go anyway. Again they are from Dorie Greenspans baking book so I knew they would more than likely taste pretty good.

And they do! They are crunchy with a slightly salty peanut/oaty/chocolatey taste. Totally delicious and very moreish so it's just as well I'm taking them to work or else I might end up eating them all. I baked the first batch immediately from the very soft dough but the second batch I made after it had been in the fridge overnight so I could roll the biscuits in my hand. I don't think the texture was any different between them although maybe the ones made from the refrigerated dough were a little bit more crispy. Anyway I'm sure they will go down well with the rest of the cake from yesterday too.

Chunky Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters

3 c oats (the big ones)
1 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
230 gm butter
1 c peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
1 c sugar
1 c packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
250 gm chopped dark chocolate or 1 1/2 c chocolate chips

Oven to 175 C.

Mix the oats, flour, soda, spices and salt in a bowl.

Beat butter, sugar (both), peanut butter until smooth and creamy. Add in eggs one at a time beating for a minute or so after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.

If using straight away drop spoonfuls onto lined baking trays (the dough is very soft). Otherwise chill and roll into balls and push them down slightly (to about a 1/2 inch thick).

Bake 13-15 mins until golden and just firm around the edges. Once baked lift onto cooling racks as they firm while they cool.

I only made a half quantity of this dough and it made loads of biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment